Wednesday, November 14, 2018

"Another day in the Life"


Snow. I awoke to news of a mid-fall snow on the way to our Emerald City. Beware branches. The last time we had an early storm it brought these down. What with many trees still heavy with leaves. The added snow won't help.

Planetary Climate Change doesn't mean it's 90f, and humid everyday,...just mostly.

I had to stumble over to Social Services to have my benefits card done over. Seems the spell wore off, and the Wizards downtown had to sprinkle faerie dust on it or something. It works now. Going over there is like going to a combination of the dentist, and a nasty job interview.

Being a Senior is hard work.

However I'm in good company as many working families, and near half of our armed forces use them cards now. This because wages have been stagnated for over 40 years. Sooner or later that has to be fixed or there's going to be long lines going up to Mr. Guillotine's handy invention. No the French aristocracy didn't see it coming either.

Bleep'em it's my dough. They yanked plenty out of every paycheck I ever earned over the last 42 years. It was insurance for when I would need it. Despite what Fox News sez about it being a charity,...I can't stand them guys. ...but I digress.


On my way back I stopped at the supermarket for the basics. 

There I noticed a now common sight. An elder asking shoppers for coins or food. There's no ambiguity here. No fit young men hanging around semi-threatening for hand outs. This was the real deal. It's personal could be the rest of us in five more years maybe.

She was a sweet heart. 

A retired house cleaner with no pension. I asked what she'd like,...pretty much what I did. Basics. I asked if she minded a wait,...she was cool.  Btw who does that music that seems to come from under the broccoli, and cornflakes in them places.

She was there when I came out I shared some stuff with her. We chatted. Cabbages, and kings.
She said she was sorry to ask. I said I recently had to ask friends as well so we're all together in this. We blessed each other, and went our ways.

Another day in the life.

No comments:

Post a Comment