Tuesday, February 8, 2022

"...books"



My social isolation reading is the smarty pants book “Swann’s Way”. The first volume of Marcel Proust’s triad of dreams “Remembrance of Things Past”. All three books should slowly take me through mid-winter into spring.

I’ve had an off, and on relationship with these books. It was shoved into my life in high school, and again later at university. It has hovered just out of sight ever since. My last involvement was during my radio career when Bill Watson of “Listening with Watson” fame did a serialized reading of it.

Bill Watson was a dear friend to me.
During a period of racist incidents…more than usual back in the early 1980’s here in Manhattan. He offered to give me shelter at his country home if things became too dangerous in the city.
He gave me a copy of the keys, and detailed directions. If I had to leave suddenly. He said:
"Don't call get on the train and go!" That was Bill.
So Marcel Proust “Remembrance of Things Past", and Bill’s radio programs… “Listening with Watson”. Classical music my radio life violent Jim Crow are all jelled together with “Swann’s Way”.
Events persons art, and the ways of history enter our ordinary yet unique lives. I’m again starting volume one “Swann’s Way”. This on Project Gutenberg. A treasure of online works free to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment