Wednesday, April 4, 2018

"A Mystery"


Here's a mystery from my childhood. Back in about 1961 or so at my Church Saint Matthews. A statue of Saint Teresa of Avila moved, and spoke to some of the girls in my class.
We as usual had been dragged in for Friday confessions. This to tidy our souls up for Communion on Sunday.
What 10 or 11 year olds could do to look bad in G-d's eyes I can't imagine. However the Nuns weren't taking any chances.
The church doesn't like personal revelations.
They prefer things go through the main office.
Well the bishop came the whole deal.
The girls, and the whole class was told to shut the hell up about it,...and we did. It was our own personal "X-File". I love a Mystery.
There she is above 50+ years older.
...not talking when I went by to say hello though.
I'm often asked what saint Teresa said or did during this event.
"...Pray". That's all. Also she opened her arms, and the roses which were no longer plaster fell to the ground. When the Nuns came,...the girls had screamed which is how we all found out something was up,...no one 'ever' raised their voice in church. At least back then. When the army of angry Nuns came to shut the kids up. All was back to what passes as normal. Except none of us was ever "normal" again. This was my initiation into the mysterious. A tangible knowing that things are not as simple or ordinary as they appear.



No comments:

Post a Comment