Monday, April 18, 2022



I’ve been thinking of my life and times, My family. All that happened. I’ve posted this photo, now colorized, a few times. My family at Smalls Paradise Nightclub Harlem. I think about 1949. I just like looking at it. We have all lived in so many worlds.
From left my mother Carmen she was going to NY City College then. Two of her cousins …I remember them but not their names. …that happens. Someone in the family may know and comment. Center is my Aunt Sybil. I remember she explained what living and dying was. I’d gone to a funeral and was confused and frightened at the quiet drama of it. I couldn’t understand leaving and never coming back.
Aunt Sybil whom we all called 'Mum' said that "...after we pass everything in the world still goes on. It rains snows daddies go to work kids go to school." But what brought it home to me was: "...people will still go to the bathroom." Thanks Mum.
Then Uncle Louie. Uncle had done what boys long ago dreamed of doing. He ran away with a circus…for real. Uncle was also Merchant Marine. He did convoy duty during the war. Was torpedoed yet went back. Later worked at the Brooklyn Navy Yard. In those days you could bring ya kids in. I had the run of the place. I remember wandering destroyers and aircraft carriers as they were being refitted.
Next Uncle Owen. Lifelong career military. He also taught life lessons. That and how to fight bullies. Next to him my Aunt Bertha whom I remember as very kind sometimes quiet. These worlds still live. They exist within my cousins my sister me the kids their kids and now you.

It lives in those that hear the stories. 

No comments:

Post a Comment