Monday, April 18, 2022

 


“…remembrance of things past”

My family my history. We all have family with worthy ancestors’ histories and hopes. In the center is my Uncle Owen. On his left my Ma Carmen about six years old. On right I’ve lost her name…some in the family that remember may comment. This happens. A familiar face lost name. Child is a cousin or friend of the family. …was never sure. Keep a journal of family and who was close. Portrait taken in 1931 San Francisco by my Grandma Violet Wong.
Comments:
From my sister Sylvia Wong Lewis
That’s Sakaye Ishima. (Sp?) Her Japanese family was sent away to an internment camp. She ‘passed’ as Chinese in our multiethnic family! Her family had a farm next to our grandparents in California. Our family took her into their home & kept her safe as family. And grandpa kept their farm going too! People feared the Japanese people would be killed at the camps. Fast forward 40 years, Sakaye’s children visited me when I lived in Ca. to say, ‘thank you to our family for saving our mother’s life! She was our Mom’s little ‘sister.’
From my cousin Henrietta Cameron-Mann
Wow! I met Sakaye when I was a child when we took a road trip to California. She was living in Los Angeles. A tiny woman with a big car. My father was disdainful of woman drivers. (…an ongoing point of contention, lol.) Sakaye drove us all in her car when we were visiting. I was young (maybe 6 or 7) so I don’t remember much about what we did or where we went.

No comments:

Post a Comment