Sunday, November 14, 2021

 "...centuries"



Through these pandemic times. I’ve sat here for near two years. I’ve thought of my surroundings. The comings, and goings of life. Our lives all life. My digs as I say are in a building over 120 years old. This in local context is a Roman relic.

The European era in these lands are so recent our oldest makings are still new. In other parts of the world Asia, and Europe things are very different. People still live in places that have been in continuous use for centuries. 300 to 500+ years even longer. Yet still with folks hanging out carrying on living in, and around them.
I think of that S/F film “Brother from Another Planet”. An Alien ship quietly crashes into NYC harbor. It’s only crew who happens to be Black swims to Ellis Island. There as he touches the walls. Through his fingers he hears/feels the voices of the many generations that passed through that place.
So right now this moment I’d touch my walls. If I could I would hear Polish Yiddish Spanish French Creole even English. The murmurs of the generations that lived in these very rooms. Rooms from which I now post to the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment