Monday, October 31, 2022

“…Five cents”


Things being what they are in 2019.

I needed to get out of Dodge for a while. See below I time portaled this morning to West 38th Street Manhattan.
November 19th1953, CE 1:43pm.
I was dressed in my 2019 jeans Nikes Lady Gaga sweatshirt, and SpaceX cap. No one noticed. I love NY.
What strikes one are the smells. Unfiltered exhausts smog, and soot from light industry which was all over the city then. Also a vast background radiation of cigarette smoke. In them technicolor days everyone over the age of 14 smoked like a chimney.
It made me lightheaded.
I weaved into the street taking the snap below. ‘Was almost hit by a '53 Hudson delivery van. The guy yelled assorted ethnic slurs, and traffic rules at me. I would have taken his portrait but didn’t want to start a race riot.
I stumbled along a side street time shifted ahead two months and came to a news stand. I asked if the guy had “Fantastic Four” No.1…he never heard of it. Seems I was about a decade early. Anyway, I got a Hershey bar which is twice the size as ours, and costs 5. cents!
That, and a copy of the December 1953 New Yorker which I’ll sell on eBay, and I was on my happy way.
Btw common 21st century home computer printers are swell duplicators of ancient currency. The downstream yokels are impressed.
I went behind a phone booth…yeah these were all over the place. I then temporal shifted phased or whatever back to the glorious freedom loving demented, and expensive future.

No comments:

Post a Comment