Wednesday, March 22, 2023

"...Days go by"


If you live in these still somewhat United States. Standard-Time went away at 2:am this Sunday morning. * (This is a few weeks old.) We are now in Daylight-Time a new temporal universe. I went outside to see if there were flying cars and free tuition. Eh ...not so far. Now here's another long story about my old digital clock. It lives in my bedroom and has been on Daylight time for decades. See above. The box it rests on was made by my Uncle Owen for my Ma when they were in high school in the 1930's. 

The box is 88 years old. I've had the clock for 43 years. Got it in 1980 at *'Radio Shack'...remember them? This across from da radio station I was with. Had it in my 8th Ave office up on the 22nd floor where I sometimes slept. Btw *'Radio Shack" became 'Video Shack' when VCRs showed up.

Another long story...the 22nd floor was our storage space. I asked if I could carve out an office for my shows da boss said sure. ...cool. Our drama group, the Shakespeare Liberation Front my old pal Simon Loekle the Maestro. That swell bunch held their rehearsals up there. So I worked and sometimes slept to assorted plays like "Coriolanus" "The Merchant of Venice" and "Julius Caesar"...with a new funny ending. Okay they didn't do that but they joked about it.   

As for my aged digital clock. I left it on Daylight time for 43 years. This doesn't seem to have bothered it...never complained. If it ain't broke don't replace it. My elders were Jim Crow Great Depression WW2 folks. So they kept what worked. 

As in everything from our hand cranked wall can opener that scary hundred-year-old vacuum cleaner and da kitchen radio. We had that Zenith clock-radio for 30+ years. Hence my tradition of using stuff I got 200 years ago. Mind I don't have clutter just prized heirlooms...like that Atari...which also still works. 

That radio also still puts out tunes. Got passed around to assorted cousins and such. It works fine and is still somewhere in the extended family. 'Guess it's 60+ years old now. It played 'Do Wop' songs in 1961. Today it reports on A.I. in our cars and the Russo-Ukrainian war. What will it play in another 60 years? *(...from my FB page.)

Comments:

Daryl Romain *...a cousin~ I have a few things that work despite their longevity. My Mom's microwave. She passed in 1990. A 1967 Plymouth Satellite, runs very well, scary fast. The pots you ate out of as a child. The piano Mom got when Grandpa passed in 1968. My sisters alarm clock, 40 years old. The living room garbage can from 67 east 127th street with my last name hand painted on. I draw comfort from these things. They remind me of good times, and folks that I spent them with.


Sidney Smith~ I well remember them cooking pots and assorted pans. That and the warm happy kitchen and house they lived in. ...#67 on left.

Henrietta Cameron-Mann *...another dear cousin~ I have a few things from my childhood that I still use. Like the stainless-steel saucepan that they used for making vegetables - we usually had frozen veggies and my mother cooked 2 squares of veggies when my sisters still lived at home. We became a one square family after they left home. I used it this morning to make oatmeal. Also, the Pyrex bowl and lid where my mother sliced cucumbers and made homemade vinegar and oil dressing. It's in constant use. Those things are at least 50 years old as I remember they were always there.

No comments:

Post a Comment