Thursday, September 27, 2018

"Wake"


The below video by Kevin Toolis  so reminds me of my Mothers wake memorial back in 1988 at our house. My Ma had touched so many lives. So many loved her. There came more than 400 at least over the day to our simple brownstone on an ordinary Brooklyn street. 
A City Councilman also a friend intervened to have the police not ticket double parked cars for the duration such was the crowd. 
I remember my brother, and sister ushering people to different parts of the house to distribute the weight, I had noted the upstairs floor was slightly bowing,...the first, and last time that ever happened. 

The people so many from all of our lives also many not known to us, but who loved my Ma. She was an administrator in a teaching hospital. So had encouraged generations of young students to become doctors no matter the obstacles. 

They came in numbers. 

So many from all the many parts of a well lived life came. Yes we sang we prayed we laughed told stories remembered, and let her go. Yet kept her memory. 
So we in our way had a vast Irish Wake for my Black Creole Chinese mother.

(...I had posted this, and the video on my FB page. I decided to put it here as well.
 I find that I have two entirely different groups following me here, and over there.)

No comments:

Post a Comment