Sunday, August 22, 2021

"...not surprised"

 


"Another Time Shift Story" (This from my temporal stories of a few years ago.)

I set my dark matter pocket watch. A gust of wind a neon shimmer and,...it's August 23rd 1961. Brooklyn.
A Brownstone. I ring the bell my mother opens the door. 57 years separate us, but she knows who I am. I spend an afternoon,...home.
I'm careful not to disturb the time stream so tell her little of the future. Well other than we had, past tense for me, a Negro President. That, and we have or will have robots driving around Mars.
She's not surprised.
I'm introduced to my sister, and brother, still children, as a distant cousin of hers. I'm not there. I chose or will chose a time I wont be present. My dad is at work.
I help her make dinner. She tells me of an upcoming wedding. One which for me is 57 years old, and now with grand children.
I tell my mother I never married. She said she didn't think I would. She told me she knows I'm "different". We laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment