Friday, August 13, 2021

"...we're all set"

 



A TV set,...a radio set stereo-set. The term lived for over a century. They began with 19th century telegraph sets as in set ups. I played with a Scrabble Set. There were no 1970's 8-Track sets. There were Cassette decks, but no sets. Certainly no VCR sets. I think the term "Set" vanished in the late 1960's.

What would things be now?
Would you buy an iPhone Set a Flat screen or a Virtual Reality-Set?
See 1940's table Radio Set below,...which I remember using.
A little story about my first radio set.
It was a 1942 small "Zenith". 'Made of plywood which was really new, and cool in the 40's. Anyway this was about 1963 or so I'm around 12. My Aunt Sybil gave me her old radio set.

Above is a near spitting image. Thanks Aunt Sybil.
I cleaned the housing. Put fresh varnish on it. Cleaned the electrics rack replaced the old tubes. They still sold radio tubes then. That, and she was in business. She played Motown, and the Beatles with some of her 1940's tubes still working.

No comments:

Post a Comment