Saturday, October 6, 2018

"Once Upon a Time"


Once upon a time I was on the subway. After pulling out of the Astor Street station I fell asleep.  When I awoke the train was in the open air. Grass was growing where the tiles had been. The roof was fading walls, and windows misting away.

Nothing was left, but the bench I was sitting on.
A field trees dragonflies flitted.
I got up.
The bench vanished.

A dream? Purple mountains.
A matrix? Chorales of cicada.
Death? A road.

Blue cobbles. These meandered even turned in on themselves. As I walked it outlined deer rabbits birds in flight.

Sundown.

The cobbles ended at the foot of a house, and garden.
My grandmother's garden.

Light refracted through buttercups, and roses.
A tin watering pail.

Hers.
Though not her house.

It's door was open. I paused, but went in. A parlor. Writing table fireplace oil lamps, and books.
Blank.

The middle room. Circular windows on either side. Above a stained glass skylight. A full moon floating behind rose clouds in an emerald sky. A cello stood in the corner.

Finally a kitchen with a much used wood burning stove, and oven. On the wall a print. One I remember from childhood.
French peasant farmers ceasing work to pray the Noon Angelus.

Also a calendar. 

It was dated June. June 1912.

It looked new.

I went back to the parlor, and saw there were now several items on the table. A brass nib pen a small jar of India ink vellum paper, and a letter.

A letter addressed to me.

A gust the garden swayed. I sat took a breath opened, and read.

"Make Worlds."

"...Make Worlds" it said.

Night came. ...it grew cold.

Light!

The fireplace roared lamps lit candles blazed high!
All was bright, and warm. The aroma of fresh baked bread came from the kitchen. A cup of hot tea appeared by my hand. The cello stood, and played!

Signs, and wonders.

I was in an enchanted house embraced by my grandmother's garden. On a world just next door to ours. 
Outside stars began to appear. Orion the Pleiades.

I sipped tea.

"Make Worlds" the note said. ...Make Worlds.

I took pen to paper.

"Once Upon a Time" I began.



No comments:

Post a Comment