Sunday, October 21, 2018

"Words"


I've read that Alt-Right speaker Richard Spencer was drowned out by hecklers. This at his attempted speech at the University of Florida. I would have liked to have heard him uninterrupted. I think we need to know why they believe what they do. What led them there, and why they stay.
Of course the heckling was expected. 
Nazis, and extreme rightists aren't that socially acceptable,...yet. However everyone must have their say. The Free Speech Movement was just that. A movement for open speech, and not just for those we agreed with. If I were there I'd have heard him or those like him out. ...yeah even Nazis. I want to hear their vision from their own mouths. 
Even better if there's a debate of the merits.
The current custom of shutting down those we profoundly disagree with is ultimately counter productive. Let them speak, and very likely by their own words condemn themselves.
I'm generally progressive, but hold personal views on theology sexuality, and art that might be unpopular. ...more than "might". 
There's more than a few of us in that situation. If I held a talk as I sometimes think of doing I could be shut down too.

No comments:

Post a Comment