Tuesday, January 30, 2018

"...things all come to an end"


Studio one. The place has become semi-automated since many hosts no longer come in. They email their programs. WBAI seems to have finally caught up with the 21st century.

Still it's sad. A way of life, and art has ended.

Comments below on Facebook from my former radio co-workers.
( First posted on FB in 2011 before my being forcibly retired after 33 years.)

I came into the studio one day, and was told I was through. 

A house cleaning by management.
The cowards in the office didn't have the balls to face me.
A hired goon walked me out of the facility taking my cards keys, and such from me.

So ended a career.

This is how it's done here. Not with a retirement party, but damned near at gun point.


Lauren Krenzel So sad to hear this. It's what made WBAI so great. All the crazy, crowded people, vibes & radio. Thanks for keeping the home fires simmering, Sidney.
2
Manage




Sidney Smith Thanks for dropping by Lauren! Yeah times change as they must. What strange time though.
Manage






James Irsay How a "host" can email a show in, not be in front of a mic broadcasting in the moment and seeing to the comfort of guests, and imagine he/she is doing radio is beyond me.
Manage





Teri Noel Towe Why do we feel like dinosaurs at the end of the Cretaceous period?

Because we are!!!!

Manage



James Irsay But remember - dinosaurs are so cool!
Manage



Chris Whent The important difference is between live and recorded, not so much where the recording studio is. If taping is merely for time-shifting so that the producer can be off doing more important things than talking to a live audience, it's already a loss.


No comments:

Post a Comment