Tuesday, January 9, 2018

"WBAI News Room~1978"


Andrew Leslie Phillips There's Celeste stage left - and about a decade later it was my office. Oh the good ole days when WBAI meant something. Great series of pics Sidney Smith

Carolyn Oberndorf  Sidney, please name the people.

Sidney Smith Well I'm lazy, and or don't remember. I count on the radio listeners, and staff vets out there to fill in the blanks.
Carolyn Oberndorf Is it Janie McMahan?
Sidney Smith Um no it's as Andrew said Celeste Wesson head of News Dept. late 1970's. Yeah that became Andrews office years later. I'm not sure. but I think the "Meat Locker" the seriously sound proof recording booth went in there...or maybe the office next door.
Andrew Leslie Phillips The meat locker was next door - the news room was opposite the on-air studio and the telex machine abutted both. One could rush the news cuts directly across the narrow corridor to the studio which was great - I liked the configuration a lot. I worked in the news room and Celeste ran it like a marine drill sergeant. She was smart and fair and later moved to NPR out west.
Peter Bochan And when three mile island was happening there was a constant stream of information between the news and various hosts to relay to the audience that wax hanging on every word and drove the programming to mix emotions with the very real threats of nuclear annihilation.
Andrew Leslie Phillips ...and that was my intro to the real WBAI - I heard Peter's amazing live mix and it inspired me then (and since) - I was live on air all night with colleagues reporting TMI subsequently and I stayed with WBAI from then (1979) thru the mid 90's.

No comments:

Post a Comment