Sunday, December 4, 2022



I needed to get da hell out of the 21st century so I folded space/time.

Kansas City October 24th, 2:46pm 1943~CE.
I stumbled into an air raid drill. I forgot WW2. A cop shoved me down some stairs into a shelter. 'Coloreds Only'. I forgot Segregation too. Had relatives in da Midwest back then. I looked around for family resemblances. It was just folks. Negros as we were then doing our best and fighting for a better day. A few hipsters in Zoot Suits too…google them. Tho' they all eyed my NASA jacket, and Reeboks. In New York in any century no one would have gave me a second look.
After the all clear I went to a Nedicks for a real hot dog, and orange drink. Ain’t had lunch in one’a them since the 60′s. Heaven. War time Kansas City. Soldiers everywhere posters for War Bonds. Real Jeeps drove by. We were united against a bigger enemy than our squabbles.
Speaking of which. I was stopped by two white corporals at a recruiting table. Wanted me to sign up. Said there was plenty for even 'Coloreds' to do. I asked if da Army was still segregated. They stared dumb founded. As if the natural order was in question. I said I was a college grad so wanted training as an officer. One of them passed out. With that I went on my gleeful way.

Further on at a news stand I asked if the guy had “Fantastic Four” #1. He never heard of it. Seems I was about twenty years early. Anyway, I got a Hershey bar which was thicker ’n twice the size as ours. ...five cents!
A giant bleeping B-17 bomber flew overhead. They weren't called 'aluminum overcasts' for nothing. I went behind a phone booth…yeah these were all over the place. I warped phased or whatever back to the divided angry, and expensive American future.

No comments:

Post a Comment