Wednesday, December 7, 2022

"...Reposting this from a while ago"

 

This is a note from a friend of a friend. I'll use no names to respect the privacy of all concerned. I just thought it important to record and save this personal missive from one about to leave us. And yes, it is cruel to keep person here against their will. They use all the tech they can to keep you alive. However not a thought to the quality of that life.

She writes ...I don’t know if I will keep posting. It is becoming increasingly difficult. If I do, it will likely be just a brief thought without a picture as todays post is. I spend more of my days napping. In anticipating my death, I had not imagined a long time of diminished capabilities during which my interests and books are not companions because of an inability to read much or communicate. I’ve learned that it is not possible for someone who has never been seriously dependent on others for help even with something like opening a bottle or package to imagine what the decline to death is like.

But I remember this is all just what it is—objective. My opinion is that it is unfortunate. My mood is accepting, but I wish death not to linger as I am ready. I regret that euthanasia is not possible for it is needed not just for pain (which I am not plagued by--yet anyway) but severe, growing disability.

This post is clearly for those who wanted the truth of my journey. The truth is that it is harder than I imagined as I did not imagine the loss of even basic capabilities like reading and doing simple tasks without help. And when there is no help available there are things that wait until help is available. When they shouldn't wait, they will still have to and there are limits to what friends can do or can be asked to do. They are not caretakers.

I needed to read this again and post it again.
This as a similar time is dawning within me. Have lost so many in recent years. Six just this year...I think I see a pattern. Life is good then it isn't. The road to it is hard but death is peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment