Saturday, January 15, 2022

"...Bells"



*(An entry from my 2020/2021/2022 COVID Journals. This from March 17, 2020. I had thought my entries were done in the Autumn of 2021. It seems however there are more yet to come. I'm posting in January 2022. Hospitals once more overwhelmed whole countries infected with new strains. Vaccines near useless. Country still divided. I'm now infected as well. We'll see where this goes.)

March 17, 2021

At the beginning of the Pandemic there was mention that folks should keep a journal of the duration. Now with a hope for a vaccine on the horizon maybe we should gather those pages. In our ways we all kept something of the last year. This is from my notes of the NYC lockdown in early days.


The Virus is now in all 50 States. However, I can give you my subjective local view of things. Traffic seemed lighter. Those that can working at home...or laid off.

Went shopping, and to laundry. My local is taking only ten loads a day. I was number 12. My friend the owner let me in. She said she was making exceptions for old customers. Bless her. The markets are open. Shelves perhaps 30% empty. This after being restocked from the earlier rush.

I assume the distributors are not topping off the locals...holding back. A wait and see. The library was closed. A note said fewer days new shorter hours. Also, directions to the main branch downtown. This will have a normal schedule to April, but it may close then.
The take outs except for the chains were shut.
The Haitian Chinese Hispanic, and Indian take outs either closed or on shortened times.

Maybe one in six wearing masks.
Btw the drug store was out of these all week. Folks speaking to each other. New Yorker's open up when shit hits the fan. Folks telling their personal war stories of this thing. Blessing each other.
many saying the "B" word as I go about.

I'm listening to WQXR while posting this. These guys are one of the last Classical Music Station's in the region. We used to have several. Listen Live here... https://www.wqxr.org/
They're programing music for this event. This to help, and calm folks. Giving good information, and beautiful music. Some host's reading emails from listeners.

Just now several emails from musicians laid off as all concerts are cancelled for the duration. Musicians' artists of all genres. Classical Blues Rock Folk are all listening to 'QXR. ...as am I. 

As I say people are speaking. This brings out our best. As above often we part by saying "...Bless you". I do this as well,western rationalist that I more or less am. A Blessing is an intent of positive affirmation to another. These days especially.

As for our national situation, ...
We all have an idea of what's coming.
Given how badly the Feds have acted so far. This is so terrible that's it's beyond mere blame of any disturbed head of state or party. It's just happening, and we are all in it.
We're likely in for the Italian model. We're two to three weeks out from it. So should be calmly prepared. Be well be kind be safe.

As I post this on the evening of March 17th, 2020. I hear Bells.
Saint Marks with her new bells barely two years old in her 120-year-old steeple. Saint Gregory's, see above, further down with her 146-year-old brass. Both chiming as the sun sets.

With a hymn of Bells, and Blessings on the lips of many. That's Brooklyn on this dusk.
Be safe be kind be well.

No comments:

Post a Comment