Sunday, January 30, 2022

"... There, and Back Again"


I portaled. Day date set to random. July 1962. A newsstand proclaims Telstar. The very first Com-sat. Jumped a generation earlier. Smoke shadows. Lenox Avenue. The Great Harlem Riots 1935. Shimmered. August 16th, 1959, 11:26 am Jones Beach Long Island. I see my mother walking my toddler sister Silvia by the shore.

Neon blur.
The South Tower is collapsing down upon me.
Shimmer…Beaver Street lower Manhattan 1866. Former Slaves coming and going in their first months of Freedom.
Home.
My home my ‘hood my digs. …I’m not there.
Haven’t been I imagine for some time. Winter 2049. Warm humid. People dressed for summer. The shore of the Hudson closer.
At last I set my Dark Matter unit for Central Park. Just south of the Bridge. October 22nd 4:02pm 1956.
I come here often. There’s peace in this time in these few acres. The climate not yet visibly changed. A chill in the air the colors at peak.
In my base time of 2019, it would still be warm with no colors whatever. In this “when” gents in fedora’s women in skirts children in cowgirl, and cowboy outfits. I remember I had one too.
Wind color clouds.
All here enjoy the peace of not knowing what’s coming, and little of what’s happened.
I sat on a park bench dressed for 2019 yet as always in New York getting no notice.
I slept.
( I wrote this while in hospital.
I borrowed a pencil and scribbled it on the back of a ward memo.
Sometimes you just have to write.)

No comments:

Post a Comment