Tuesday, October 5, 2021

"...Souls"



I've known Trans Souls throughout my life. My playmate Joey across the street was so blessed. He suffered his whole life because of the values against him. Much of his family except for his sister were cruel to him. My mom protected him as much as she could given the customs then. 

He was over at our house often. The kids on the block were for the times unusually cool about it all. I mean he was just Joey. We were friends, and I remember a few times he made me up with his makeup kit. My mom said when she found us it was alright, "...but only in the house." 

My folks were in show business when young. I had a relative that danced at the classic Cotton Club in Harlem. So they knew about folks "in the life " as it was called then. As Joey, and I found early on. Being Queer is hard work...but worth it.

While "in the life" I met more Two Soul folks. 
"Those with Two Souls" some Native Peoples call them.
Makes sense to me. Like so much in life it's simple, "...Let folks be."

Above Rep. Jennifer Wexton of Virginia. Hangs Transgender Pride Flag Outside Her Capitol Hill Office. This in response to the increased persecution of some of her constituents. 

No comments:

Post a Comment